Friday 2 March 2012

Andy here...

Things are progressing nicely. The XT has had a small green lane adventure and it all seems OK apart form a squeak from the rear suspension. I ripped the swinging arm out (very, very easy) and greased everything that didn't have a nipple attached to it and that's sorted it out. I can now say positively that the bike's mileage is original as there were no wear marks on any of the bearing surfaces.
The following day the SW Motech centre stand arrrived and it took less than 20 mins to fit. It is very well made but only just gets the rear tyre off the ground. I may need to weld some feet extensions on.
Centre stand down....

Centre stand up!

 If you are contemplating buying one of these stands for an XT600E then be aware that the instructions are in pictorial form and rather crap! It is a very easy job though.

Tomorrow's the big day (3rd March 2012).....Richard, my son, Gabriel Bolton and I are out for a full day's green laning. Richard will be on my TTR and I'll be on the XT600E. Gabriel has already done the Road of Bones see www.gabe-rtw.co.uk and he also has a very good Internet shop that sells almost everything I need for the trip next year.
The debate about hard or soft luggage has ended in a test period of approximately 4 months in 2013. Nevil will be using Happy-Trail aluminium luggage whilst I intend to use the fabulous Enduristan luggage. I'll be swapping accessability for lightness. The Enduristan Monsoon luggage is completely waterproof, durable and  quickly removable. It should absorb some of the possible impact damage should I happen to fall off/over. I will be making a rack to keep it away from the sides of the bike and to carry my Rotopax Fuel Cells as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment